Virgin Sport Westminster 10km - Race Recap
Name: Virgin Sport Westminster 10km Race
Date: 15th July 2018
Where: Westminster, Central London
Temperature: 23 degrees celcius
I was terrified of this race. As I mentioned in my previous post, this was the first race I had ever set myself a goal time, and I really, really trained to try and smash it. I even convinced my boyfriend to sign up and run with me as my pacer (He's an amazing runner, think 38 minute 10k's).
The weather was set to be scorching, so that was another thing to worry about. I decided last minute to buy some running shorts and bring a cap with me to run in, and honestly I think they made all the difference.
We arrived to the race via Green Park tube station which puts you right by the starting pens, ideal if you don't have a bag to check (we didn't) but not the right exit if you do want to check a bag (I think the info pack said to get off at Charing Cross). I had brought 50p with me to use the Green Park Tube toilets which I highly recommend; they're convenient, nicer than a portaloo, and there's never a queue because most people don't know they exist.
We arrived at 9:30am which was the official start time, but I don't like waiting around so after using the toilet we were able to join our starting pen and set off within about 15 minutes which is pretty dreamy for a large race like this. I will say that the starting pens were not being monitored at all. People were freely walking into whatever pen they wanted, which is slightly frustrating as running with your own pace group makes the race better for everyone.
Starting just after 9:50am and I was feeling mostly positive with a side of anxiety. The first kilometre wizzed by and my boyfriend proclaimed we were slightly above pace which was the plan (5:50 min/km, overall aim was 6:00 min/km). The second kilometre seemed deceptively easy even though there was quite a long uphill, and I was right about deceptive as the boyfriend reported our pace had dropped to 6:30 min/km as a result of dodging people walking and also the uphill. He assured me we'd make it up on the downhill, but I was concerned.
The next three kilometres went by with little issue. I will say that the route for this race has a lot of 'out and backs' which can be pretty disheartening, especially as I was beginning to tire around kilometre 5, which was proceeded by another uphill stretch.
I have run this race for three years now, and the section around kilometre 6 is my nemesis. You have to run the wrong way down the embankment and do an uphill loop before running back down onto the embankment for the end stretch to the finish line. This section left my legs feeling weak, and I told my boyfriend I didn't have much left in the tank. At this point we were still relatively on pace (about 10 seconds behind I think) although my boyfriend suggested we could slow the pace to 6:15min/km and then reassess at the 8km marker, I knew I had trained for this so dug deep and kept going. This was also the moment I put my headphones in and cranked up the drum and bass.
We hit kilometre 7 with a pace of 6:07 min, and I slowly managed to amp it up for the final two kilometres posting splits of 6:02 and 6:00.The race route at this point really comes into it's own. Around the 8km marker you do an out and back across Westminster Bridge, turning to face Big Ben and the Houses of Parliament. It is truly spectacular.
When we were about 400m from the finish line my boyfriend told me I had about a minute left if I wanted to reach my goal. I set off at a sprint as fast as my exhausted legs could carry me and crossed the line in 1 hour and 36 seconds. I saw the time and started crying. This wasn't helped by a women crossing the line seconds after me and cheering "59 minutes, I did it!"; no hate to her but it was the worst timing!
After I calmed down I was able to think about the race more logically, and overall I am proud of my efforts. It was a really hot day, and I am confident I would be able to run sub-1 hour in cooler temperatures. Also I didn't stop running once, and that's actually only the second time I've been able to run 10km without stopping. Most importantly it has lit a fire in me to sign-up for another race soon and make sure I don't give up on my goals.
Overall this is a great race. Amazing route (potentially the best in London? Aside from the Marathon!), well organised and you could tell they had spent a lot of time and money making sure everyone had an enjoyable day out. I can't recommend it enough.
Did anyone else run? How did you find the heat? Let me know!
Date: 15th July 2018
Where: Westminster, Central London
Temperature: 23 degrees celcius
I was terrified of this race. As I mentioned in my previous post, this was the first race I had ever set myself a goal time, and I really, really trained to try and smash it. I even convinced my boyfriend to sign up and run with me as my pacer (He's an amazing runner, think 38 minute 10k's).
The weather was set to be scorching, so that was another thing to worry about. I decided last minute to buy some running shorts and bring a cap with me to run in, and honestly I think they made all the difference.
We arrived to the race via Green Park tube station which puts you right by the starting pens, ideal if you don't have a bag to check (we didn't) but not the right exit if you do want to check a bag (I think the info pack said to get off at Charing Cross). I had brought 50p with me to use the Green Park Tube toilets which I highly recommend; they're convenient, nicer than a portaloo, and there's never a queue because most people don't know they exist.
We arrived at 9:30am which was the official start time, but I don't like waiting around so after using the toilet we were able to join our starting pen and set off within about 15 minutes which is pretty dreamy for a large race like this. I will say that the starting pens were not being monitored at all. People were freely walking into whatever pen they wanted, which is slightly frustrating as running with your own pace group makes the race better for everyone.
Starting just after 9:50am and I was feeling mostly positive with a side of anxiety. The first kilometre wizzed by and my boyfriend proclaimed we were slightly above pace which was the plan (5:50 min/km, overall aim was 6:00 min/km). The second kilometre seemed deceptively easy even though there was quite a long uphill, and I was right about deceptive as the boyfriend reported our pace had dropped to 6:30 min/km as a result of dodging people walking and also the uphill. He assured me we'd make it up on the downhill, but I was concerned.
The next three kilometres went by with little issue. I will say that the route for this race has a lot of 'out and backs' which can be pretty disheartening, especially as I was beginning to tire around kilometre 5, which was proceeded by another uphill stretch.
I have run this race for three years now, and the section around kilometre 6 is my nemesis. You have to run the wrong way down the embankment and do an uphill loop before running back down onto the embankment for the end stretch to the finish line. This section left my legs feeling weak, and I told my boyfriend I didn't have much left in the tank. At this point we were still relatively on pace (about 10 seconds behind I think) although my boyfriend suggested we could slow the pace to 6:15min/km and then reassess at the 8km marker, I knew I had trained for this so dug deep and kept going. This was also the moment I put my headphones in and cranked up the drum and bass.
We hit kilometre 7 with a pace of 6:07 min, and I slowly managed to amp it up for the final two kilometres posting splits of 6:02 and 6:00.The race route at this point really comes into it's own. Around the 8km marker you do an out and back across Westminster Bridge, turning to face Big Ben and the Houses of Parliament. It is truly spectacular.
When we were about 400m from the finish line my boyfriend told me I had about a minute left if I wanted to reach my goal. I set off at a sprint as fast as my exhausted legs could carry me and crossed the line in 1 hour and 36 seconds. I saw the time and started crying. This wasn't helped by a women crossing the line seconds after me and cheering "59 minutes, I did it!"; no hate to her but it was the worst timing!
After I calmed down I was able to think about the race more logically, and overall I am proud of my efforts. It was a really hot day, and I am confident I would be able to run sub-1 hour in cooler temperatures. Also I didn't stop running once, and that's actually only the second time I've been able to run 10km without stopping. Most importantly it has lit a fire in me to sign-up for another race soon and make sure I don't give up on my goals.
Overall this is a great race. Amazing route (potentially the best in London? Aside from the Marathon!), well organised and you could tell they had spent a lot of time and money making sure everyone had an enjoyable day out. I can't recommend it enough.
Did anyone else run? How did you find the heat? Let me know!
Comments
Post a Comment